Sunday 19 May 2013

Yiota's Xstitch review

I know it's IHSW this weekend I'll be posting an update about that tomorrow, however I thought I'd share with you a bit of information about a new company that I've come across - Yiota's Xstitch (www.yiotas-xstitch.com).  This isn't a company that I'd heard of until recently so thought I'd share my thoughts with you as I know there is always some trepidation about trying a new company.

The website is lovely and colourful, easy to navigate to find something specific or just to browse through, with a varied selection of kits and charts in modern and traditional styles.






As I'm a fan of fantasy, I chose this design based on the artwork of Erin Ewer: 



The kit arrived within a few days in a small package that easily fit through the door but was well protected. 

Provided in the kit was 16ct white Aida (you could choose from 14ct/16ct/28ct fabric), needle, chart, instructions and all the thread needed to complete the project.



















The thread used in these kits is Madeira, whilst not as widely used as DMC, it is a very high quality thread (not like the awful stuff you get in the free cover kits from magazines) and has more of a shine than Anchor and a similar to feel to DMC.  It comes already wound onto bobbins for ease of use, clearly marked.

The chart itself is in black and white and comes on A3 sheets, using large, very clear and easy to read symbols.















As some of you regularly stitch HAED designs, I would say that a number of these charts and kits just won't have the level of detail you would be used to seeing so may not appeal to you.  As it doesn't have any backstitch and uses just whole stitches, there's no reason someone who knows the basics couldn't jump straight in, however, the size of this kit might be a little intimidating for a beginner.  I do think it would make a great project for those who have completed a few small designs and are looking for something a little more challenging. 

Personally, I thought it was one of the best kits I've come across for a very reasonable price!  I hope that this has been useful for you and it's definitely worth having a look!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to read my posts. I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment if you have the time.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.